Planting a Legacy Tree™ is a great way to celebrate and honor a loved one. Once someone has decided to plant a Legacy Tree™, often the first question we get asked is, “What kind of tree should we plant?” We love helping people people answer this question, and there are just a few things to consider before deciding what tree is right for you:
- Where will this tree be planted? Many people plant Legacy Trees in their yard or on private land, in which a Julie Locate will need to be done. If you’re planting at a public location like a school, cemetery, park, or church grounds then there might be specific types of trees that they are looking for and particular spots for where the tree should go. We would be happy to work with you and the location to provide a species list that works for everyone!
- What size tree are you wanting? We grow large shade and small ornamental trees that come balled and burlapped. These trees are between 2”-4” trunk caliper and weigh between 500-1000 lbs, so you would need a truck and trailer for transport or have them delivered and planted by our family partner business, iTrees.com. Balled and burlapped trees are typically around 8-10 years old and look substantial in the landscape after planting. We also have a selection of small potted shade, ornamental, and fruit trees available. Our potted trees come in a 5-7 gallon container and can be transported easily with a pickup truck. Potted trees are younger and take a bit longer to fill out into the landscape, but are a very accessible way to plant a tree!
- And finally, is there a tree that holds special meaning to you, your family, or the person who the Legacy Tree™ is honoring? Trees evoke emotions and memories. We often hear from folks about a specific tree from their childhood home or family farm, or a tree they would have picnics under with their kids when they were little. Other times it’s the fall color or spring flower on a tree that reminds you of your loved one – we love hearing your stories and memories about trees that have left their mark!
We’ve created a list of some of our most popular trees below – while you are not limited to just this list, think of it as a starting point for inspiration! Each tree is linked to its page for more information. If you have any questions or need help narrowing down and selecting your Legacy Tree™ just let us know! We would be happy to help!
~ Maggie Thomas Harper
Here are some helpful resources about our Legacy Tree™ Program:
- Legacy Trees at SGN
- Legacy Trees – Memories to Last a Lifetime
- Selecting your Legacy Tree™ – how to get started
- Legacy Tree™ Memorial Service Ideas – flow of service, readings, memorial service ideas
- Legacy Tree™ Memorial Service Readings PDF
- Legacy Tree™ Package – A Timeless Treasure – what is included in your Legacy Tree™ Package
- Legacy Tree™ Program – Wholesale Package – customized program for Park Districts, Cities, Cemeteries, Schools, and Funeral Homes